What a Slinky Knows

I chose to listen to a segment from NPR’s RadioLab. I spent the first five minutes of the podcast trying to figure out if the RadioLab host was named Chad or Jad. I may have missed some sound utilization during this time of confusion. Around minute five I remembered that Google exists. His name is Jad. He went to Oberlin College, married his college sweetheart, and has two kids.

The segment I listened to featured a math professor from Cornell University, Steve Strogatz, as a guest, as well as physicist Neil deGrasse Tyson. They were discussing the fact that when you drop a slinky from a height, it appears that the bottom of the slinky doesn’t move right away. The segment used a lot of cool sounds; as they talked about the “levitating” properties of a slinky, you could hear them dropping a slinky in the studio. They also dropped a pen to illustrate the same phenomenon. At the end of the segment, they played an upbeat song that included a slinky as an instrument – a Slinky Concerto, if you will. It may have been called Slinky Concerto No. 5 but I’m not 100% sure because I just made that up.

I thought the sound use in this segment was great because it made the segment feel really interactive, which I think is important for a segment focused on science Рit draws listeners in who might otherwise have tuned out. You can listen to it here: http://www.radiolab.org/blogs/radiolab-blog/2012/sep/10/what-slinky-knows/