Listening Assignment: 3/22/12

Listening Assignment: 3/22/12

After telling my story about my time in San Salvador, El Salvador a few years ago I became interested in the current state of the country.  I found a story on rival gangs in the country and was surprised that the reporter was able to get access to numerous members of the eighteenth street gang and MS gang.  The details in which the reporter speaks of the condition which these men live, help paint a vivid picture for the listener.  In a country the size of New Jersey the murder rate is astonishingly high at 65 homicides per 100,000 people.  The reporter also included a variety of voices from both gangs, showing how similar the characters are even though they are in rival gangs.  The prison situation in the country is gruesome with significant overcrowding.  The reporter provided great detail through his use of characters, detail, analysis, and facts.  With such a controversial and dangerous situation, it is impressive that the reporter was able to get his characters to speak in such detail about their personal gang lives.

Salvadoran Gangs