Listening assignment: The BBC, 1010WINS and WCBS Newsradio on 2/15

I rarely listen to 1010 wins when I’m not in the car, so listening to it while sitting still in a room was a bit jarring.  The pace was extremely fast, and it was a hard for me to keep up with each headline.

For me, 1010 wins is best to listen to when traveling.  If I am rushing to get somewhere, my fast movement matches the speed of each story.  The sound of the typewriter in the background makes it seem as if everything is happening right now, at that exact moment.

The stories are simple and too the point.  There is no time to interview experts, or present any in depth analysis like the BBC.  For example, when a spot was done on the White House’ reaction to Iran’s reports about its nuclear program, I learned the bare essential facts- that the White House dismissed Iran’s reports of upgrading their nuclear program. There was barely any commentary as to why, nor was there any soundbite.

On the other hand, I learned more listening to the same story on WCBS Newsradio 880.  As the host introduced the headline there was ambi in the background of the Iranian president speaking.  I learned that Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says that the country’s “nuclear path will continue.”

I also learned that President Obama wants to expel Iran from SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication).  There was also an expert who gave analysis on the credibility of Iran’s nuclear program.

While listening to the BBC, one of the first things I noticed was how drastically different it is from listening to 1010wins.  The BBC is the complete opposite.  The stories were given at a very even pace, and the broadcast was taped.  When a story was given, such as the prison fire in Honduras that left more than 300 people dead, I felt as if I was given every single possible detail about the story.

More than 10 minutes were spent on the story.  During that time numerous experts spoke, including Dinah Shelton, chair of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights.  The discussion between the host and the experts about ways the fire could have started sounded more like a conversation instead of a simple dictation of current events.

Although I enjoyed the slow pace the BBC has when reporting their stories, I admit at times I stopped paying attention to what was being said.  After only 20 minutes, it felt like I was listening for an hour.

Story I found interesting while listening to 1010WINS: Lack of Public Memorial Upsets Fans; Funeral to be Streamed Online